Hello everyone !! As you know I had covered my experiences of IISc CEDT , IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, BARC OCES/DGFS and IIT Bombay RA till now.If you are new to this page click on specific names to read the respective posts .Also, I mentioned some important do’s and don’t and addressed some basic doubts as part of my Introduction post. You can have a look at it here ; this will also serve as a reminder to my GATE details and courses I applied to. Finally, after almost two months of incessant travelling covering different directions in the Indian map and giving written tests and interviews to about 20-30 professors, I got the below admission offers :
- IIT Delhi – Computer Technology ( EE Dept.)
- IIT Delhi – Telecom Technology & Management ( Bharti School of Telecom)
- IIT Kanpur – Microelectronics , VLSI and Display Technology ( EE Dept.)
- IIT Kharagpur – Visual Information & Embedded Systems Engg.- VIPES ( EC&E Dept.)
- IIT Bombay – MTech + PhD dual degree in Microelectronics( EE Dept.)
Some info not shared till now:
- IIT Kharagpur offered me direct admission based on my GATE score. In the first list which came out on 15th March, I got RF and Microwave (my fourth preference).In the second list (30th May), I was offered VIPES which was my second preference.I immediately locked my choice(without upgradation) as I had heard from seniors that VIPES was better than VLSI ( which was my first choice ) at IITkgp. Also, VIPES matched my interests in image processing,embedded systems and computer networks ; so I felt it very convenient and desirable.
- I got no admission offer from IIT Madras 😦 The selection was based on direct GATE score. Unfortunately, my score was a little low for my preferences and my category ( people with AIR of 50 also didn’t get their 1st and 2nd choices in general category).I would like to mention here that I didn’t apply for TI sponsored MS program at IIT Madras as I had no idea about it. I came to know later that it is one of the best programs for people interested in Analog. For more details click here.
- The interview dates for IISc Research Program ( MSc Engg. + PhD ) were clashing with my BARC and IITB interviews ( 4th and 5th June). So, I was not able to attend it.
Phew !! So now was the time to make choices and to take decisions which will alter my future. Where will I spend the next two years of my life?? Well, this decision was not easy as I had thought previously.Dual degree was clearly out of my mind as I was in no mood to risk five years when I was not sure whether I want to do PhD or not.The rest four choices were pretty confusing.I had to burn my grey cells, have long chats with my parents,introspect on what I really want ( that’s pretty hard 🙂 ) and add extra digits to my internet and phone bills to finally arrive at a conclusion.I decided to join Computer Technology at IITD. It provided a perfect combo for my interests and future aspirations. It provided me a unique blend of hardware and software which I have always loved ; which at the same time increased my research as well as placement scope 🙂
So friends !! This was all from my side. I shared my experiences and some tips and tricks to be followed Post GATE. As promised, I am providing you with some links which I referred when I was in the same phase as you are now. Keeping in view the continuous requests pouring from students, I have decided to write a post on GATE preparation as well( click here to read the post on GATE preparation). So, tune your browser’s bookmarks to my blog’s frequency and keep visiting 🙂 Hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts and it was useful to you in one way or the other. Please feel free to share your feedback and ask me any of nanoscale doubts in your mind. I will try my level best to reply to your comments and help you in every possible way. Last but not the least , don’t forget to follow this blog,share with your friends and read other amazing posts present here 😉
Links for Interview Experiences:
http://engistan.com/gate-2013-cutoffs-for-iits-nits-iiits-recs/ ( GATE 2013 cutoff of all institutes )
Links for Interview Preparation:
http://asic.co.in/Index_files/Digital_interview_questions1.htm ( Some very good questions with explanations for Digital electronics. Will also help you clarify your concepts )
http://asic-soc.blogspot.in/ ( Digital questions )
http://www.allinterview.com/Interview-Questions/Electronics-Communications.html ( Open in Mozilla or IE )
Thanks for reading 🙂 Have a nice day and as I always say Live Life King-size 🙂